Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Jinx Broken

Today I killed a Jake. Today I finally broke my three year spring turkey jinx by low-crawling to within twelve yards of a pre-pubescent Meleagris gallopavo, killing him cleanly with one well placed shot of number four Hevi-Shot. Small spurs, three inch beard, but, what a hunt!

This hunt started like most others here; four AM wake-up, walking to pre-planned positions by 4:30, in position and settled in before 5:00, and then the beautiful pre-dawn wait. Few things one experiences repeatedly are as exhilarating as a turkey’s roost gobble. I can only think of one or two, and those don’t usually happen in the morning, especially not before 9:00 AM, at least not for me.

This morning George Havelin and I made for the public New York State Wildlife Management Area adjacent to my farm. We observed birds headed that way last night, one of which had an eight plus inch beard. We stole quietly in to the big sycamores on a knoll by the creek long before shooting light, and sat until we heard the boys gobble from the roost. When they finally sounded off, things were looking good. We had two birds gobbling, neither more than 100 yards from us. Then, a hen intervened and sang her siren songs of love, sucking those boys right down out of the trees and off in the opposite direction. We tried without success to lure them back, but, knowing the habit of these birds, we retreated to the road and attempted to circle around to the Southeast corner of my front field, where we knew they would end up eventually.

Moments after our arrival in “the front corner”(20 minutes after leaving the sycamores), we heard a gobble about 100 yards away, still in the thicker state land woods, but headed in our direction. Moving out of my hedgerow and South into the state land, George ducked under a huge fallen willow, and I took a forward position, hastily setting up in a thick stand of quaking aspens (I don’t know how they got there). Three minutes passed and we heard the turkeys answer George’s sweet calling, but they were now to my right, heading North, having opted to make straight for my open field and not detouring in our direction as we had hoped. I waited just a few moments and retreated back to George’s willow for a quick conference.

We figured the gobblers, two of them, were trouping straight to a strutting ground beneath a big wolf oak tree in my hedgerow, roughly 80 yards from our position, but concealed by brush and tall grass. We decided I would re-position the decoy in a grassy opening between George and my hedgerow, and that I would conceal myself as best I could in a multi-flora rose bush just beyond the decoy. All the while, the two gobblers were sounding off urgently, seemingly getting closer, still on the opposite side of the hedge row from us.

As I got into position, one of the gobblers thundered his call less than 30 yards from me, still, on the other side of the hedgerow. I saw just a bit of motion and his bright red head. I could also see the second male’s tail, fanned out, but could not see his body. I now felt quite exposed in my rose bush, so I dropped to a prone position and quickly assessed my situation. Those birds were headed right for the corner, and if I could low-crawl quickly and stealthily enough, I could be in position to ambush them in two minutes or less. Otherwise, from where I was currently set up, I would have limited shot potential, and marginal concealment. I decided to go for it.

Fortunately, the grass was tall enough to cover my movement pretty well. I got to about 15 yards from my field and froze when I heard both birds gobbling repeatedly. I heard George, now about 50 yards behind me, turn up the heat on his come-hither calling. I was pressed to the ground, gun up and ready in a very flat prone position and knew I could go no further. I was in a nice opening in the hedgerow and the birds were literally marching my way. I kept seeing the fanned tails of these birds, and glimpses of red, blue, and white heads through the grass to my left. They looked like sails on the ocean, coming to my shores. But, I could not make out a beard and I dared not raise up to have a look. I decided then that the first red head that came into my field of fire and gobbled was going to take a hard hit.

For a moment I became very self aware. My breathing was pretty good, I noticed, but “man, I am totally pumped” I thought, “Huh, I am having a blast right now.” This was somehow notable to me. I heard the spitting, wheezing sound of the first male strutting and was amazed at how close I finally was to a spring turkey. And then I saw the beet red head appear before me. He never saw me. Didn’t sense the bit of algebra and geometry that calculated his death, the firepower decision-making, left barrel or right. Never saw that very slight adjustment I made, a sniper, a snake in the grass, striking violently. Never saw what hit him.

After the shot I kept the bead on him, just in case he had more life in him. Later, I found out that George thought I missed because I didn’t move a muscle after the shot. I watched the bird do his brief acrobatics, and settle. I rolled over slightly, looking back at George with a victorious fist raised in the air. Jinx broken.

11 comments:

Jim Tantillo said...

finally, some goddamned old fashioned hook and bullet wisdom!!

Keith, that's one of the most awesome posts yet. Congratulations on your success! and thanks for some memorable grousers lines:

"Few things one experiences repeatedly are as exhilarating as a turkey’s roost gobble. I can only think of one or two, and those don’t usually happen in the morning, especially not before 9:00 AM, at least not for me."

and

"For a moment I became very self aware. My breathing was pretty good, I noticed, but “man, I am totally pumped.” I thought, “Huh, I am having a blast right now.” This was somehow notable to me. I heard the spitting, wheezing sound of the first male strutting and was amazed at how close I finally was to a spring turkey."

and

"I now felt quite exposed in my rose bush"

awesome account. kudos, cagey.

KGT (aka Cagey) said...

Yeah, Mo liked the double entendre too. She said I should kill a turkey more often. I agreed.

Thanks for the nice words JT.

I am anxious for a "blended" account from you on the subject.

Anonymous said...

A nice tale, Cabin Boy. And congrats on breaking the jinx. And good use of subtle homo-erotic prose!!

What? You mean I'm the only one who noticed??? Uhm. Never mind.

R

Anonymous said...

WOW, the accounting is so descriptive I felt I was in the grass crawling along side of you! Such great descriptions, Sycamores, Aspen, "Big Wolf Oak" tree and the ultimate "multi flora rosebush" you da man! Congrats on a successfull hunt and I'm happy to hear George was along for the hunt, this all gave me some good chuckles!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Rich...you know, I just read the turkey jinx post with my rose/homo-erotic colored glasses on and was laughing pretty good. I am stunned at my self. Truly stunned.

momoxie said...

I am very happy that the turkey jinx is lifted and that he was a nice young morsel that will taste lovely on the grill...however, I do not think I like this rosebush situation...meet me by the big wolf Oak tree in an hour.

Anonymous said...

Well Keith yuo've gone and done it now! More comments on the rendition of your Jake adventure since the advent of the Katie injury. Not to minimize the heart tugs that Jim has felt over the past few weeks, but it appears that your tale has struck the funny bone of many. It does us all good to hear some lighter stories from time to time and it seems that this one has worked. See ya around the campfire buckaroo!

Anonymous said...

Keith, Congrats on your success with the turkey hunt sounds quite exciting. But now that you have killed your first spring turkey the jakes are off limits time to join the big boys and hunt the TOM TURKEY unless you want to be a jake slayer like George.I seem to remember another exciting hunt when someone called in six toms and someone else got nervous and did not shoot any of them.Maybe you could tell that story next.

see you in the GREIBE blind

KGT (aka Cagey) said...

Annon.

It appears you might have as difficult a time spelling grebe as identifying one.

I would be happy to tell the story of my turkey shooting restraint, right after you tell yours about bird identification.

Looking forward to your post!

:)

Anonymous said...

Although I am not the story teller you are I will do my best to tell my tale of the GREBE INCEDENT.
It was a lovely fall morning ,opening day of the duck season on Cayuga Lake I had been invited to hunt in the famous Canoga Creek Conservancy Marsh.We all met at Kieth's house well before daylight for coffee of course Keith was still having puppy dreams when we got there but thats another story.So off we went to the marsh we set out our sprerad of decoys including robo duck and settled into the blind tucked into the many variuos perennial herbs of the genusTypha or the cattails.Daylight came and the ducks began flying we had a good shoot bagging 1 red head hen,2 mallard hens and 3 mallard drakes.It was so exciting I had to check my breathing was I under the multi flora rose bush or under the big wolf oak NO I was in the marsh and I was not exposed.Anyway the shooting slowed down and a flock of coots was swimming around the decoys.I have a young Lab who was only 10 mos old and in training so I decided to shoot a coot to give Nick another retrieve ,which by the way Nick had already retrieved all the above mentioned ducks.Well the one I decided to shoot was a GREBE which looks alot like a coot how ever the federal agent who checked my bag later did not agree with my bird identification. And thats all I have to say about that!
copywrite date 5\30\06 author Eric Riegel
Your turn JAKE SLAYER

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»