Sunday, May 31, 2009

Welcome Maya!


On Memorial Day weekend we came home with our new pup, Maya. My daughter Emma picked the name based on sound rather than meaning. But the various meanings (spring, renewal, rebirth) feel like good omens to me. I’m looking forward to some renewal and great days ahead. Maya, Emma, and me (maybe Ben, too, if he picks up his sister's love of dogs).
Maya is a black and white Llewellin with a half mask. The breeder thinks she will be heavily ticked, like her half sister in the photo (black is the new white!).

I am technically co-owner and co-trainer in this enterprise. I get the back end and the part that wakes up at 5am. I also get October and as much bird dog as I am willing to create. Emma gets to be a 12-year old raising a puppy and training a best buddy. I am buying Emma a set of hunting chaps and a check cord. My "No Father Left Indoors" campaign is off to a great start.


A poem just for Maya
By Emma

When I look at the rain,
I think of the saddened tears rolling off of God’s face
When I look at the babies running around and screaming,
I think of all of the mothers at the spa
When I look at the color yellow,
I think of the giant sun that is warming the hearts
and souls of others
But, when I look at my English Setter
I think of the most beautiful, elegant and graceful
dog in the world
But, the one thing that is the most important about her
is that she is my very own

4 comments:

Vicar(ious) said...

I was going to post the weekend kids trouting expedition to Penn's Ck, but I can't post over this yet. Bill, congrats on the pup and on your embarkation with Emma.

Nice that Josh made quote of the week, but the line from Emma's poem

"When I look at the babies running around and screaming, I think of all of the mothers at the spa"

kicks the bejeepers out of anything that any of us has ever written.

KGT (aka Cagey) said...

Congrats Bill! Congrats Emma!

Dr. Dirt said...

Congratulations Mr. Bill and aspiring hunter Emma! She's a beautiful setter. Can't wait to see how Maya is coming along this fall.

Follow Jim's advice and get Joan Bailey's training book for the first year. Her message is, first and foremost, time. Work with Maya every day to build that bond and reinforce those early lessons.

We'll have to get the dogs together soon. Am planning to be in the Finger Lakes in July.

Dr. Dirt said...

Pepper the blog with Maya updates!