Tuesday, August 07, 2007

On puppy training...from my breeder

“You may unfortunately find that your friends and family members will be your worst enemies in regard to making sure your pup is only getting rewarded for behaving politely. They will think you are being “mean,” they will have all kinds of advice, etc. My rule is, if someone cannot abide by my instructions regarding handling the puppy properly, they are NOT allowed to interact with the pup, case closed and hurt feelings not withstanding. I find the people who object to this rule the most strenuously are the ones who happen to have the worst-behaved dogs—and children.”

Sue Keroack
Spendthrift Kennels

5 comments:

Ernie said...

I wouldn't worry about your kids as much as I would your hunting partners , like myself. Unlike me your kids are very well behaved and trained properly, you just need to slap me upside the head during the training experiance and make sure I keep my big fat mouth shut! I'm sure you were thinking of me when you read this, and no offence taken if you were. Thanks for the reminder!

KGT (aka Cagey) said...

Actually I was thinking of my mother -in-law, who I might consider slapping instead of you Ernie.

I was actually curious, since so many of the grousers are dog people,if others have dealt with the family expert/training underminer issues...

Jim T said...

better hope your mother-in-law isn't reading the blog, boyo.

:-)

Yeoman said...

"I was actually curious, since so many of the grousers are dog people,if others have dealt with the family expert/training underminer issues..."

To give you an analogous example, although only barely so, it's generally the rule with stock dogs that family members are not to treat them as pets. The rule is that they are "working" dogs, and working dogs aren't to be confused or treated as pets, as it confuses them.

Everyone now and then, however, an exceptional one manages to break down the rule, and enjoy dual status.

KGT (aka Cagey) said...

Dual status...interesting concept. Might be a research paper in there somewhere.