Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Another hunting poem by Raymond Carver. Perhaps someday I'll edit an anthology of hunting poems.

Shooting

I wade through wheat up to my belly,
cradling a shotgun in my arms.
Tess is asleep back at the ranch house.
The moon pales. Then loses face completely
as the sun spears up over the mountain.

Why do I pick this moment
to remember my aunt taking me aside that time
and saying, What I am going to tell you now
you will remember every day of your life?
But that's all I can remember.

I've never been able to trust memory. My own
or anyone else's. I'd like to know what on earth
I'm doing here in this strange regalia.
It's my friend's wheat--this much is true.
And right now, his dog is on point.

Tess is opposed to killing for sport,
or any other reason. Yet not long ago she
threatened to kill me. The dog inches forward.
I stop moving. I can't see or hear
my breath any longer.

Step by tiny step, the day advances. Suddenly,
the air explodes with birds.
Tess sleeps through it. When she wakes,
October will be over. Guns and talk
of shooting will be behind us.
--Raymond Carver, All of Us: The Collected Poems


****

This poem of Carver's went through at least four successive drafts and was published after his death.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i need some help on the analyse of this poem for a paper i have to do about it.