Friday, January 06, 2006

Pronoun trouble

Man, I've been seriously thinking about that Bugs Bunny gun that Mike posted . . . .

Anyway, here's a little something from the Internet Movie Database.

Memorable Quotes from Rabbit Seasoning (1952):

Bugs Bunny: Would you like to shoot me now or wait 'til you get home?
Daffy Duck: Shoot him now! Shoot him now!
Bugs Bunny: You keep outta this! He doesn't have to shoot you now!
Daffy Duck: He does SO have to shoot me now!
[to Elmer]
Daffy Duck: I demand that you shoot me now!
[Elmer raises his gun. As Daffy sticks his tongue out at Bugs, he is shot]

Daffy Duck: Let'th run through that again.
Bugs Bunny: Okay.
[neutral toned]
Bugs Bunny: Wouldja like to shoot me now or wait till ya get home.
Daffy Duck: [neutral toned] Shoot him now, shoot him now.
Bugs Bunny: [neutral toned] You keep outta dis, he doesn't hafta shoot you now.
Daffy Duck: [with expression] HA! THAT'TH IT! HOLD IT RIGHT THERE!
[to audience]
Daffy Duck: Pronoun trouble.
[to Bugs]
Daffy Duck: It'th not "He doethn't have to shoot
[pointing to Bugs]
Daffy Duck: *you* now." It'th "He doethn't have to shoot
[pointing to himself]
Daffy Duck: *me* now."
[with anger]
Daffy Duck: Well, *I* thay he *does* have to shoot me now!
[to Elmer]
Daffy Duck: THO SHOOT ME NOW!
[Elmer shoots him]

Bugs Bunny: [Daffy stops short at Bugs] Yais?
Daffy Duck: [Daffy puts himself back into position] Ohhhhhhh, no you don't. Not agian. Thorry. Thith time we'll try it from the other end.
[to Elmer]
Daffy Duck: Look, you're a hunter, right?
Elmer Fudd: Wight.
Daffy Duck: And thith ith Rabbit Theathon, right?
Elmer Fudd: Wight.
Bugs Bunny: And if he was a rabbit, what would you do?
Daffy Duck: Yeah, if you're tho thmart, if I wath a rabbit, what *would* you do?
Elmer Fudd: Well, I'd...
Daffy Duck: [Elmer points his rifle at Daffy] Not again!
[BANG! Bill falls down and Daffy puts it on his mouth again. To Bugs]
Daffy Duck: Ha ha. Very funny. Ha ha ha ha.

Daffy Duck: Now's your chance, "Hawkeye!" Shoot him! SHOOT HIM!
Bugs Bunny: He's got me dead to rights, doc. Would you like to shoot him now or wait 'till you get home?
Daffy Duck: Oh no you don't. Not THIS time!
[to Elmer]
Daffy Duck: Wait until you get home!

[Hiding in Bugs' burrow]
Bugs Bunny: Go and take a peak up an' see if he's still around
Daffy Duck: Right-O!
[Daffy looks out the hole, gunshot heard; Daffy comes back down]
Bugs Bunny: Is he still there?
Daffy Duck: [dazed] Still lurking about!
Bugs Bunny: I know! You go up an' act as a decoy an' lure 'im away.
Daffy Duck: No more for me, thanks! I'm drivin'!
[faints]
Bugs Bunny: Ah, well; like they say, never send a duck to do a rabbit's job.

Daffy Duck: [to Bugs in drag] Out of sheer honesty, I demand that you tell him who you are! Well? Haven't you anything to say? Out of sheer honesty? Huh?
Bugs Bunny: [to Elmer, in a women's voice] Yes. I would just love a duck dinner.
[Kisses Elmer, who then shoots Daffy in an amorous daze]

2 comments:

Path Walker said...

Notice how Elmer's got 2 beads? (and I ain't talkin bout his eyes)
when did that go out of style?

Jim Tantillo said...

you've got a sharp eye there, PW. I think that must help clinch the knot when he ties a bow with both barrels around a tree trunk . . .