Tuesday, January 10, 2006

In the beginning, grouse camp was grouse camp, and you always knew what to wear...


with blogging blisters on his finger tips, Tantillo calls out:

"Which of you will pitch in to help write the official history of the dubbing of Cabin Boy, 'Cabin Boy'?"

My memory is shaky on this, and I have no archives to back me up, but.... was it Safari Jim who first referred to Keith as "Cabin Boy" (photo; bird in hand, Safari Pup by his side, Elsie relaxing in his arm) following a discussion in which a reference was made to "cabin attire", and did this happen (if it happened at all) at the first Maine Grouse Camp, Macannamac Lodge, Spider Lake? I seem to remember Josh driving a rental with embarassingly Jerseyesque plates, himself flaunting a lambs wool vest??? Nice habitat, no grouse, a week too late, a few woodcock.

And did you know: Filson recently unveiled a Cabin Boy line of lodge lingerie?


(why, that's enough to make died-in-the-wool Followers of Filson chafe)

- PW

5 comments:

Safari Jim said...

What a great looking dog!

KGT (aka Cagey) said...

Actually, as I recall, it was indeed Dr. Tantillo who used the phrase first, in retaliation for my slam on his 5th day stinky t-shirt which was interfering terribly with the bouquet of the fine scotch we were drinking, and the fine aromas of the gastronomie extraordinaire of Chef Weik.

I believe it went somethin like:

"Are you ever going to change that shirt?" KGT

"Why, what's wrong with it?" JT

"Well, I thought you might find something a little more appropriate for dining this evening." KGT

Pouring another four fingers of scotch..."C'mon, its my lucky grouse shirt...I have been wearing it since I left Marrakesh three weeks ago." JT

"Which would explain why it smells like a camel's ass." KGT

Snidely, while others in the room begin to tune in..."Well, what do you call what you are wearing?" JT

"Well..." thoughtfully looking about the rustic Maine lodge, replete with antlers, oars , and sundry other LL Bean-y knick-knacks and puffing thoughtfully on pipe, "...I call it Cabin Wear." KGT

"Haragh, Haw! Ok... CABIN BOY!" Dr T. smugly laughs while others join in, nervously, but obediently. Later, one by one, grousers comment that they like my new Aldo Leopold line almost as much as the succesful Hemingway line rolled out in Johannesburg.

And there you have it...

Frank Zappai said...

wasn't that the same night X-Man threw the book at Tantillo? You'll have to tell us that one sometime, too, Uncle Keith. We love that one.

:-)

Jim Tantillo said...

"I seem to remember Josh driving a rental with embarassingly Jerseyesque plates"

As I recall, our host and Authentic DownEaster, Mr. PW, was particularly perturbed at Josh's full-fingered happy-go-lucky waving at the locals over the steering wheel of said Jerseyesque rental car. I believe we all joined in as PW instructed the hapless out of town Washingtonians as to the proper technique for a righteous DownEast one-fingered salute.

But as I also recall, the D.C.ers' rental at least was a rugged manly-man 4x4 that Joshua and The Boy Soon to be Named Cabin Boy arrived in late the first night from the airport. So they got that goin' for 'em . . . which is nice.

Mr. Bill said...

I sure am enjoying this retrospective on the early grouse camp days. Wish I could have been there, but having seen Josh's movie and reading these stories, I kinda feel like I was there!