Sunday, May 11, 2008

ADKs Brook Trout Expedition

I am feeling like a lucky guy. I just celebrated Mother's Day with a beautiful woman, my wife and the mother of my children, who reportedly LOVES to eat Brook Trout. Good thing I caught a few recently. You know the adage, get thee to an Adirondack Brook Trout place when the Trillium and the Trout Lilies say so.






































So I ventured forth to the Adirondacks in search of Brook Trout and the admiration of my women folk, with my friend and work colleague Jeremy Dietrich. First efforts seemed paltry...




































But after a change of venue and of fishing approach, I was ready to take on real fish with 3 wt fly rod and reel. As we were purposefully "exploring" all Brook Trout likely waters in the St. Regis Mountain region, versatility and flexibility were at a premium. Might be shore casting, might be fishing from a canoe...



































We fished Barnum Pond, Black Pond, Deer Pond, Long Pond, Mountain Pond, Lost Pond, Slush Pond, the Osgood River and the St. Regis River, catching over 100 Brook Trout on Thurs, Fri, and Sat AM. Most of these we released...but some were immediately ushered to the realms of gastronomie... here, preparing and cooking trout at the Long Pond Lean-To.






















































I caught a number of fish on the fly, and a great deal of fish were landed after having casted spinners (Mepps and other). Jeremy proved to be quite a competent guide, and made great efforts to be where the fish were. And we caught some nice fish...






































Before I sign off, here are a few final shots of the river or lake and that addictive species we are after. Thanks to Jeremy for coordinating a most memorable trip.








1 comment:

Vicar(ious) said...

Hmmm...I must be doing something wrong. Here I was, only about 25 miles away (depending on the linearity of one's crow), over the same weekend, and all I returned with was a commitment to the development of a community forestry initiative, with strong support from local and cornell folk alike...probably the cash will wind up in Nessmunk's pocket.

...bless the 'dacks.