Monday, December 29, 2008

Cayuga Lake Waterfowl Report- Riegel/Tidball Team

Thought a little levity might be in order. The first four days of the second half waterfowl season have yielded some interesting results. For Yeoman's benefit, we have learned that the new Hevi-shot load for vintage guns is VERY effective stuff. Also, it seems that Federal Blackcloud BBs pattern beautifully through a modified choke, at least through my mod/mod double sxs. Haven't had the chance to try the new bismuth offering but hope to soon.

The lake in front of Double Black was frozen the first few days, so Eric and I hunted the ponds. Despite some sense of nostalgia indicating that it might be nice to hunt with Ernie and Mike ( a hangover from the nice nostalgia laden recent Ernie post I guess) in a field, just for old times sake, I am glad I took the sensible route. The Ernst field (Thompson's field) was way too full of hunters and way too empty of birds, from what I gather.

On day 1, the rain was falling by the bucket-load at 5 am, and didn't stop until well after 8:30 am, at which time Eric and I, and Eric' s cousin Dave were limited out on ducks. Day 2 was much like day one, with the addition of a handful of geese. Day 3, the warming trend, rain, and wind had opened up the north end of the lake sufficiently, and reports were streaming in of large numbers of divers. Mike O, Eric and I set up in Double Black...we came away with only one bird, but had a few chances at divers screaming through the outer edge of the spread. Unfortunately for us, the masses of divers brought masses of diver hunters and layout boats, effectively cutting us out of the action. Eric commented that we were witnessing more boat traffic in front of the marsh than many summer days on the lake. Day 4 (today) proved tough as well, with steady wind at plus 35 mph and gusts up to 50 mph. Still, we managed to scratch down 6 ducks and 2 geese.

I spent some time with the camera to try to brighten spirits and tempt Tantillo to come and engage in some R&R. You will notice I edited out the shooting... that way the Back Up Benelli can imagine his role better. Feel better Jim. Enjoy.






5 comments:

Eric said...

Awesome videos we need to do more of that. It certianly was a great opening weekend hopefully this cold will freeze out montezuma and we can do it again this weekend.Glad you decided to join me it was a great weekend of hunting look forward to many more.

Yeoman said...

"For Yeoman's benefit, we have learned that the new Hevi-shot load for vintage guns is VERY effective stuff. Also, it seems that Federal Blackcloud BBs pattern beautifully through a modified choke, at least through my mod/mod double sxs. Haven't had the chance to try the new bismuth offering but hope to soon."

Thanks!

Santa Claus brought some Hevi Shot for my son's 20 gauge (we all knew that he brings shotgun shells, right?). We're going to give those a try later today. Sorting through the shotgun shell collection over the Holidays revealed that I still have some Remington Tungsten Iron shot, which I think is the same thing, prior to Hevi Shot and Remington parting ways.

I haven't tried any of the stuff for vintage guns. I'm darned tempted to try it, as I could revert to my old B/SS, which I prefer over my Citori.

Next question. Can a person reload Hevi Shot (with antiquated equipment)?

KGT (aka Cagey) said...

I know there are bulletin boards and forums talking about reloading Hevi-shot. Try Shotgun World.

Jim T said...

Cagey, love the videos. Looks like Spinelli backup's on vacation til next year. Although I have enjoyed the exercise of trudging through the woods every day in a foot of snow. oh well. keep the movies coming, I've got to remember to bring the camera into the woods some time for an updated record of Phoebe's puppyhood.

how's coyote calling been?

and Santa didn't bring me any shells this year. waah! I could use some 16 ga 2.5 inch 6s right about now.

Dr. Dirt said...

I particularly like the one of the 2 yr old hen mallard (missing three secondaries on the right wing) dropping into the dekes before light.