Friday, July 13, 2007

I'm not addicted to propane


Lest anyone think me incapable of hitting a woodchuck without using a propane tank for a rest, here is the scene of the third kill of the week.

We have an old corn crib in our yard that at some point was turned into a lean-to on a flat platform. Finally the platform rotted and had to be dismantled, but the lean-to remains--now on blocks.

Well this makes just the ultimate woodchuck blind. All you gotta do is set up in the comfortable chair on the deck and wait for the pesky varmints to come out. This vantage point lets me look backward through the swing set--don't laugh yet--or towards the house where the varmint is living under the mudroom.

So of course, another baby woodchuck comes out in the same spot the other baby chuck came out of. Not wishing to decimate next year's seed chucks, but desirous of testing the new scope and the new hollow point varmint ammo, I took a pop at the baby chuck through the swing set about forty or so yards away. (Over the slide, to be more precise.) Got him! And when I retrieved my prize, I learned what the hollow points can do at close range. Yuck. Masaman or no masaman, that chuck went into the growing carrion heap in the sheep pasture.

Through the swing set--nothing but net . . .

No comments: