Thursday, July 12, 2007

What to do with a gunshy labrador

I've gotten a couple more varmint kills this week. I put the scope on the Marlin and shot some more paper with a hunting load. I'm shooting CCI maxi-mags with a 40 grain hollow point bullet. Here's the best group I got at 50 yards; I tweaked it a bit more toward the center after this target, which I figure is good for zero at 100 yards.

So I was confident when the next opportunity presented itself: a baby woodchuck that popped out of the bushes along the back edge of our lawn going down to our pond.

I was out like a flash and did my sneak around to the propane tank again. Lined up on the little sucker, using the propane tank again as a rest and let 'er rip from about 70 yards away. Down it went! or so I thought. I got up to the edge of the brush and there was no chuck to be found. Damn! I looked around for a while, but nothing to be found.

I took the dogs out a while later for a run around the yard, and steered them both over to where the chuck had crawled back into the bushes. Lo and behold, there goes the gunshy lab over to a spot just inside the brush--he drops the bone he was carrying and laid down on all fours basically pointing the thing. I walk over, and there on the ground is a very neatly dispatched young woodchuck with a serious head wound. Aldo saves the day--and now I'm thinking he may just earn his keep yet, as a no-slip gun-shy woodchuck retriever.

So there you have it. I'm two for two with the new gun, and the gunshy one has a new job. Life is good.

2 comments:

Ernie said...

When sighting in the rifle did you again use the propane tank as your gun rest? Soulds like you should figuere out how to get it in a backpack to take deer hunting with you.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've got the whole woodchuck killing system worked out. All that remains is testing Weik's recipe. Or, Woodchuck Massaman probably wouldn't be that bad. I've had some utterly unidentifiable meats in my curry over the years. And, so identifiable ones that weren't far from woodchuck on the culinary totem pole (giant squirrel).

Go Aldo!

Pete