Wednesday, October 22, 2008

First bird '08 (from ramblings...)


...
At home I found wired dogs, crazy from a day being cooped up, and a strong urge to take the DeHaan out for a walk. I’d used the Remington all afternoon to shoot clays as shells are much easier to come by and cheaper than for the 16ga. And seeing those pheasants gave me an itch for the flush of a bird. As light was fading, I quickly loaded up the dogs and headed up to Greens Valley for a short hunt. We worked the pines just to the left of the side road – nothing – then headed up to the right of the pipeline gate. On the edge of the side-hill thicket the dogs flushed a woodcock. It went fluttering up and off to my left as the gun rose and fired. I didn’t see it go down, but was pretty sure I’d made a good shot. “Dead bird” got the dogs going and they were quickly on the downed timberdoodle. First bird of the year. Tried to take some time with the dogs to enjoy the moment and get them riled up about our first kill. The dogs, however, needing no more encouragement, weren’t happy about a break in the action and although interested in the bird were more anxious to get going again. We circled through the thicket and worked the cover until dark – no more flushes here today. Maybe later this week…

1 comment:

KGT (aka Cagey) said...

Nice. Nice fishing post a few days back, too.