Sunday, October 14, 2007

Back from the Odyssey

Hey gang,
looking forward to hearing tautly told tales by the old gout-ridden duck hunters. Had a fine trip to Michigan and Wisconsin, if a bit warm at first and then a bit rainy for the rest of it. Managed to scratch down a fair number of grouse. The trip was cut short by a couple of days, though, when Katie pulled up lame chasing down a crippled grouse. She'll be seeing the vet tomorrow morning, hopefully it's just a bad sprain.

Anyway, what pictures I took are over at Frank's Flickr site. But this was a particularly cool grouse we took out of the "Dead Pig" covert near Melstrand, Michigan. Dead Pig being so named due to the, uh, dead pig we found there.

Bear baiting: ethical? or not ethical? Discuss.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad youse two had success finding birds on your trip. Let's hope that Kate was just plumb tuckered, as she looked in some of your photos. Let us know when you find out.

When southern ducks open and before wc close, invite me to FLNF for a chance at a triple.

Tex

KGT (aka Cagey) said...

Sorry to hear about Kate--

What were the stats of the trip?

Jim T said...

stats were good: eight birds in Michigan during both hot (ugh) and rainy (ugh) weather. Plus two woodcock. Then three birds in the injury-plagued Wisconsin portion of our trip, which was cut short by two days; plus a crippled grouse that Katie retrieved that may or may not have been mine from the day before. So not a bad trip. As far as grouse go, I felt like I pretty much hit what I aimed at, unlike some years where it takes me 3-4 days to warm up, shooting-wise.

If I ever come up for air, I'll try to do some writeups.