Monday, October 15, 2007

Black Lake - First Shot
















THE REMAINS OF DAY ONE

The nimrods: Bill; Mike; Keith; Rich; Pete

The dogs: McPhee; Cody; Artemis; Brandt

The birds: timberdoodle (7); road cock (1); Bonasa (2); mallard (5); ring neck (2); gadwall (1); wudduk (2).

Beer Camp teaser: Ring Neck evades Cooper’s Hawk but not Mr. Mike

Canine headlines: Artemis Performs for All, Leaves Grown Men Exhausted and Satisfied; McPhee Reminds Hunters how to Live; Sweet, Patient Cody; Chesapeake Pup Shows Penchant for Sputum Soaked Tissues

Quotes: “help me, help me, help me”; "I'm in trouble" (2006); “biofuelia, that’s my word”; “you can have your Beretta back”
Ailments: gout; constitutional(too fast, too slow); fingers (amputated)
Culinary conquests: Curry Duck; Twice Cooked Goose Chili; Roasted Endives
Noteworthy EtOH: 1977 Chianti Classico; Irish Redbreast

Hangovers: only 1!

CODY'S FIRST RETRIEVE AFTER ABBEY






















5 comments:

Ernie said...

What no fish for a fish fry? Sounds like a good time was almost had but with only 1- 30 pak consumed between 5 guys would explain why there was only 1 hangover over 5 days. Hope to hear moree around the campfire this weekend,after we finish dressing up double black for next weeks opener.

Jim T said...

AWESOME pics. love the retrieve by Cody. Kinda wish I could have been in two places at once. But I'm sure there will be other duck camps.

Anonymous said...

I second el jefe's comments. Only thing is I haven't been out hunting for anything yet! But last night I stayed up til this morning painting decoys (ring necks)... so I remain hopeful. Grouses are plentiful this year in Maine -- I see lots when working, and hunters are doing well especially Up North.
- Path Walker

Jim T said...

hey PW! great to hear from you. Was wondering if Ron or anyone was having a Maine camp this year . . .

Any word on any litters coming up? this year it's serious. I'm probably sending Nancy Thurston a check this month. let me know if you hear of any breedings in your neck of the woods.

jt

Anonymous said...

Ron's having alot of camp this year -- I think this is one of his weeks up there. I guess they did some nice fixing up -- replaced sills and such. We need to think about grouse camp in Maine next year, expecially if we have another good hatch like this year.
No pup prospects. McAuley tried breeding his bitch to Spy's bro, but they were a day or 2 late. I'm thinking about a pup next year too... if Baxter comes to a timely end. I'll keep my ears open. Today was my hunting opener. Hunted Spy 1.5 hrs, pointed 1 wc (1 shot, 1 kill), and 2 grouse (2 shots, 0 kills). Nice morning, but warm. Tomorrow I may try for the ringers.
- PW