Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Hector grouse

Hey gang,
got out for a two-hour hunt with Ol' Gimpy, and we had a great time. Temp was 55 deg F, a slight 4 mph wind was blowing from the west, and I wore my usual crappy upland stuff. Yep, orange Filson hat too.

Kate is moving at (ahem) a fast walk with a pronounced limp. We went out yesterday, and I missed the only woodcock we saw. (Plus Katie didn't hurt herself, so that was good.) Today we fared much better bird-wise. We hunted the Old Tent covert, where years ago we found in the back woods an old canvas tent that had seen better days. We were in the woods by 4:30.

We walked in on the woods road that leads to the Old Tent, and as we drew near the sacred spot I took the low road on the path while Katie worked the thick stuff above me. The leaves were pretty damn dry, and the wind so slight that I tried to stay as quiet as possible while the dogge padded through the dogwood.

Not five minutes had passed when Katie went on point uphill from me in some thick stuff. I had a bit of a clearing off the trail leading up to her, and as I walked in a grouse flushed in a beautifully open flight, left to right, toward the deep woods beyond. I missed the first shot at about twenty yards but nailed the second shot at about twenty five yards. The bird tumbled to the ground, and we were on the board! Score one for Gimpy. Nice big grouse, too.

Later I missed a similar opportunity at a grouse Katie was pointing on the edge of a marshy low area. This bird seemed to flush a lot faster; and as I emptied both barrels at it, a second bird flushed much closer to me. But . . . no more buhwets.

Somewhere along the way Katie pointed a woodcock that flushed from my feet. I was tangled in some thorny crap, but I managed to shoot at the bird (I swear to God!) from the hip--the first time I can ever remember truly shooting without the gun to my shoulder--and lo and behold, the bird crashed about ten yards away. That one is pretty much going to be hamburger.

Katie pointed another grouse as the evening wore on--this bird went up into a tree above her, and as I debated that particular shot, it decided to high tail it out of there, which was fine with me. More for winter hunts.

Finally, Katie pointed another woodcock as it was getting close to sunset. This one flushed straight up, and I missed it overhead at about five yards before settling down and killing it some twenty yards away with the second barrel. Not a bad haul for a two-hour hunt.


Some of you know of Michel GĂ©linas, our Quebec friend who has an utter fascination with the wily woodcock. Michel's website has a special section reserved for pictures of woodcock deformities. Well, one of today's woodcock is the first one where I've noticed a deformity--one of the birds had lost a digit on one of its feet:

So I guess I'd better send the picture along to Michel.

All in all, a good afternoon's hunt.

6 comments:

KGT (aka Cagey) said...

Nice, very nice. The Vicar and I got out to Hector Sunday afternoon for a few hours. Two woodcock were killed out of three shot at, and two grouse were shot at (one by each of us) neither of which seemed to be susceptible to lead shot...

The wind made things rough, not just in terms of shooting, but also in terms of keeping track of the dog. Its the first time I have longed for the beeper instead of my preferred traditional atavistic bell.

Nice pics Jim. I hope to get after the woodcock one more time at least, but I am afraid we aren't going to get the concentrated flight of years past. And then, goose season opens this weekend...

Ernie said...

Goose opener! Did you mention Goose opener? They are the only birds that there seems to be any concentration of in the area! Hoping to have a great weekend with limits both days because the ducks are deffinatly not around yet. See you in the fields!

KGT (aka Cagey) said...

I agree Ernie. Ducks are definitely slow. Eric and I managed to knock down four teal Sunday, one of which landed in the tall grass and escaped. Of the three Nick retrieved, one was a beautiful agreen wing drake.

Today, I sat in Double Black with a colleague from Cornell (Jeremy, an occasional poster to the blog). We saw virtually NO birds from shooting time until about 8:45. Then, the weed cutter barge left Lou's marina and must of flushed some birds...we ended up knocking down three mallards, one drake and two hens.

Ducks are indeed slow.

GOOSE SEASON PLEASE.

Jim Tantillo said...

Ernie, is that a dozer pile invite for Saturday morning?
jt

Ernie said...

It's an invite if you wish it to be, and you can figure out your way up here! Not sure yet if it will be the dozer pile or a field yet, I'll find out more tonight and let you know in the morning.
You game?

Anonymous said...

i know where the rest of the toe went....

in my stomach i ate it when it was a meer little chick and it was delicous