Friday, January 27, 2006

I kid you not . . .

I just got back from the Rich Stedman/panel discussion mega-event on watersheds, and I have to tell you, I pretty much lost my appetite in the first 35 or 40 seconds after hearing the woman introduce our boy Vicar.

In the immortal words of Dave Barry, "I am not making this up." Mr. Bill (who was there) will back me up on this.

I believe the words I heard were . . . and this is an exact quote . . . and again, I am not making this up:

"Rich Stedman is God's gift to watersheds."

End of quote.

I just about lost my lunch and I still have a bad taste in our mouth. I mean, really. Sure he's good. Sure he's too busy to blog with his brothers the jerky-loving brethren. Sure he's tenure-track and all that. But c'mon . . . "God's gift to watersheds"?

Unbelievable. Simply, unbelievable.

I don't remember a single word of anything that was said after that, but I'm sure Rich's presentation was awesome. After all, he's "God's gift to watersheds." yechhh.

"God's gift to watersheds"
(circa 1998, when we knew him simply as, "Rich")

2 comments:

KGT (aka Cagey) said...

Damn...really sad I missed that.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have to back Jim up on this one. The moderator did indeed refer to Rich as "God's gift to watersheds." Keep in mind, she said that right after asking people to drink more wine, because "the drunker you are the better we look!" (...it would have taken a lot of wine, even for a guy who finds bullheads attractive)

Mr. Bill